The Gaia group at ICCUB is seeking a candidate to cover an engineer position for the Gaia mission.
We are looking for highly motivated candidates holding a University Degree. The chosen candidate will join a multidisciplinary team of astronomers and engineers working in the Gaia mission. Gaia is a mission of the European Space Agency (ESA) that is mapping extremely precisely our Galaxy.
His/Her work will be on the development of software for the treatment and analysis of scientific data produced by Gaia. He/She will work with the Initial Data Updating (IDU) system of Gaia and will be in charge of the development of the framework, implementation and interface with software produced by other teams and the tests of the IDU system. He/She will be responsible of the IDU runs and of the partial and total re-run for specific cases. He/She will be responsible of the development of IDU algorithms and of the related activities on the Data Processing Center of Barcelona.
The job requires:
- Degree in physics or engineering
- Good level of English (both written and spoken)
- Very good programming skills (especially in Java and Python)
- Expertise in HPC and experience in Marenostrum
- Knowledge of Linuz/Bash and shell scripting
- Ability to communicate and document
- Leading skills
Will be positively evaluated:
- Knowledge of astronomy
- Knowledge of HTML and PHP
- Familiarity with LaTex for documentation, SubVersion and GNUplot.
- Familiarity with Space research
- Spanish and Catalan are plus.
We will do a short test of the necessary skills.
The contract will begin in January 2017 for a maximum of two years.
Annual gross salary: 35.000€.
Contact Person: Lola Balaguer – email: email@example.com